Re: postgres slower on nested queries

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Alexander Elgert <alexander_elgert(at)adiva(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres slower on nested queries
Date: 2007-03-06 21:18:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com> writes:
> Alexander Elgert wrote:
>> I found the postgres version VERY slow, so a decided to fetch

> Define VERY - it took what, milliseconds to do this? Seconds? Hours?

I think he's complaining that the standards-conformant view in Postgres
is slower than the specialized SHOW command in mysql. For an
apples-to-apples comparison, select directly from the system catalogs
--- the information_schema views are definitely slower, because they
have to enforce various spec restrictions (eg that you can't see info
about tables you don't have access to).