Re: SQL function parse error ?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: Radu-Adrian Popescu <radu(dot)popescu(at)aldratech(dot)com>, Achilleus Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL function parse error ?
Date: 2003-01-10 14:48:01
Lists: pgsql-sql

Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> ... I still
> would like to see answered is whether oracle or others support >$ as an
> operator, or if the sql spec has anything to say on the matter.

The SQL spec does not have the concept of user-definable operators at
all, so it provides no useful guidance about the set of characters that
ought to be allowed in operator names (except, obviously, that we must
include every character actually used in a SQL-standard operator).

Oracle reportedly treats $ as an identifier character, so I don't think
they could consider it an operator character.