Re: cache lookup failed for attribute 1 of relation XXXXXX

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alessandro Aste <alessandro(dot)aste(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cache lookup failed for attribute 1 of relation XXXXXX
Date: 2018-07-19 15:39:45
Lists: pgsql-general

[ please keep the list cc'd for the archives' sake ]

Alessandro Aste <alessandro(dot)aste(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Hello Tom, thanks for your reply:
> SELECT * FROM pg_class WHERE OID = 2223152859 ;
> (0 rows)
> I'm not aware of any DDL at that time.

Hm. Well, that OID was definitely there when pg_dump looked, and
it's not there now, so something changed --- though we can't prove
it changed concurrently.

In any case, I'd bet that if we ran this to ground it would prove to be a
concurrent-DDL issue. pg_dump tries to protect itself against concurrent
DDL, but for assorted architectural reasons the protection is not 100%;
sometimes you can get odd failures like this, essentially due to "clock
skew" between pg_dump's view of the catalogs and the server's view of the
catalogs. As long as it works on retry, I wouldn't worry too much about
it.