Index utilization

From: kbarnard(at)kevinbarnard(dot)net
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Index utilization
Date: 2009-08-13 16:05:08
Lists: pgsql-general

I am working on cleaning up a bloated database. I have been
reindexing etc. There appear to be a good number of never to almost
never used indexes. I am looking in pg_stat_user_indexes which yields
some questions.

Assuming that the reset stats on server is not turned on how old are
stats?

Are there any good open source tools to monitor how often indexes are
used?

I was basically thinking of writing end of day numbers for the stats
in a table so I can plot index usage over a few months to see what is
getting used. Does anybody see a problem with that?

Thanks in advance