Re: Memory settings, vm.overcommit, how to get it really safe?

From: Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Hannes Dorbath <light(at)theendofthetunnel(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Memory settings, vm.overcommit, how to get it really safe?
Date: 2007-05-18 13:24:01
Lists: pgsql-general

* Scott Marlowe:

> What distro / kernel version of linux are you running? We have a
> similar issue with late model hardware and RHEL4 recently here at
> work, where our workstations are running out of memory. They aren't
> running postgresql, they're java dev workstations and it appears to be
> a RHEL4 on 64 bit problem, so that's why I ask.

When Java sees that your machine has got plenty of RAM and more than
one CPU, it assumes that it's a server and you want to run just a
single VM, and configures itself to use a fair chunk of available RAM.

This is more or less a Sun-specific issue. Other Java implementations
make different choices.

--
Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
BFK edv-consulting GmbH http://www.bfk.de/