Re: UTC is not a time zone?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UTC is not a time zone?
Date: 2024-05-13 18:17:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com> writes:
> On May 13, 2024, at 10:48, Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com> wrote:
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1273542.1712326418%40sss.pgh.pa.us

> Thanks! Similar, but I don't think it's that. This was a sudden change in a long-running connection that had issued a ton of ` SET TIMEZONE TO 'UTC'; ` before the failure.

The underlying cause is likely roughly similar, to wit failure to read
/usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC (or the Postgres-private equivalent file).
The parent process would long since have cached the zone data in its
memory, but this error is in a parallel worker process, which'd have
to read the file for itself during startup.

What's causing that I can't say. It doesn't look like we log the
errno anywhere when failing to read a zone file :-(