Re: Database Caching

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
Cc: "Hackers List" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Database Caching
Date: 2002-03-04 22:05:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca> writes:
> Sorry, NOTIFY -- not NOTICE (damn keyboard...)
> Right now we're required to do a select against the database
> periodically

Certainly not; I fixed that years ago (I think it was the first
nontrivial thing I ever did with the PostgreSQL code). You can
execute PQnotifies without any PQexecs, and you can even have your
application sleep waiting for a notify to come in. See the libpq
docs under the heading of "Asynchronous Notification".