Re: Problems with Large Objects using Postgres 7.2.1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: cjwhite(at)cisco(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with Large Objects using Postgres 7.2.1
Date: 2003-04-09 16:51:01
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-jdbc

"Chris White" <cjwhite(at)cisco(dot)com> writes:
> What I am seeing is that when all 8 threads are running and the system is
> shutdown, large objects committed in transactions near to the shutdown are
> corrupt when the database is restarted. I know the large objects are
> committed, because the associated entries in the tables which point to the
> large objects are present after the restart with valid information about the
> large object length and oid. However when I access the large objects I am
> only returned a 2K chunk even though the table entry tells me the entry
> should be 320K.

Hmm. Have you tried looking directly into pg_largeobject to see what
row(s) are present for the particular LO ID? Is the data that's there
valid?

> Anybody have any ideas what is the problem? Are there any know issues with
> the recovery of large objects?

No, news to me. I would suggest that you should be running 7.2.4, not
7.2.1; we don't make dot-releases just to keep busy. But offhand I
don't know of any recent reports of symptoms like this.