Re: pgsql: ecpg: Output dir, source dir, stamp file argument for preproc/*.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Subject: Re: pgsql: ecpg: Output dir, source dir, stamp file argument for preproc/*.
Date: 2022-07-18 21:27:21
Lists: pgsql-committers

> Jul 18 16:48:25 ./src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/parse.pl: Bareword file handle opened at line 30, column 1. See pages 202,204 of PBP. ([InputOutput::ProhibitBarewordFileHandles] Severity: 5)
> Jul 18 16:48:25 ./src/interfaces/ecpg/preproc/parse.pl: Bareword file handle opened at line 31, column 1. See pages 202,204 of PBP. ([InputOutput::ProhibitBarewordFileHandles] Severity: 5)

> afaict that's bogus. It's unnecessary that the code uses "our" instead of
> "my", but there's no bareword there and replacing our with my fixes that
> complaint.

Ah, I think I've got it. Per "man perlfunc":

"our" has the same scoping rules as "my" or "state", meaning that
it is only valid within a lexical scope. Unlike "my" and "state",
which both declare new (lexical) variables, "our" only creates an
alias to an existing variable: a package variable of the same name.

Since there's not actually any such package variable, the net effect is
that the first argument of open() is an undeclared name. I can more or
less see why perl might treat that the same as a bareword, though I
definitely agree that this error message is more confusing than helpful.