Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes

From: Alena Rybakina <a(dot)rybakina(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrei Lepikhov <lepihov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nikolay Shaplov <dhyan(at)nataraj(dot)su>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>, teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru, Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Ranier Vilela <ranier(dot)vf(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: POC, WIP: OR-clause support for indexes
Date: 2024-08-24 13:08:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 23.08.2024 19:38, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> Hi, Alena!
>
> On Fri, Aug 23, 2024 at 5:06 PM Alena Rybakina
> <a(dot)rybakina(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> wrote:
>> To be fair, I fixed this before [0] by selecting the appropriate group
>> of "or" expressions to transform them to "ANY" expression and then
>> checking for compatibility with the index column. maybe we should try
>> this too? I can think about it.
>>
>> [0]
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/531fc0ab-371e-4235-97e3-dd2d077b6995%40postgrespro.ru
> I probably didn't get your message. Which patch version you think
> resolve the problem? I see [0] doesn't contain any patch.
Sorry, I got the links mixed up. We need this link [0].

> I think further progress in this area of grouping OR args is possible
> if there is a solution, which doesn't take extraordinary computational
> complexity.
This approach does not require a large overhead - in fact, we separately
did the conversion to "any" once going through the list of restrictinfo,
we form candidates in the form of boolexpr using the "and" operator,
which contains "any" and "or" expression, then we check with index
columns which expression suits us.

--
Regards,
Alena Rybakina