Re: [GENERAL] Varchar and varchar2

From: James Olin Oden <joden(at)Lee(dot)k12(dot)nc(dot)us>
To: Jeffrey Napolitano <jnapoli(at)setech(dot)com>
Cc: General Questions for PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Varchar and varchar2
Date: 1998-07-06 21:06:49
Lists: pgsql-general

> I've looked through the documentation, but I can't find the size of the
> limit of varchar...?
>
> All I found was in the User's Guide:
>
> Character Type Storage Description
> varchar(n) (4+n) bytes variable length with limit
>
> What does 4+n bytes mean? And what is the limit?

It means that the minimem length will be 5 bytes and the maximum is the
maximum amount of characters that can be contained in a record
(aproximately 8000 bytes), where 4 bytes are most likely used to contain
the actual number of characters. n, in the above expression most likely
represents the number of characters to be stored for a particular
instantition of this field.

> Anyone? And is there support for varchar2?

What is varchar2?

...james