Re: PG not rejecting bad dates (was Re: Finding bogus dates)

From: "Chad Wagner" <chad(dot)wagner(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Ron Johnson" <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG not rejecting bad dates (was Re: Finding bogus dates)
Date: 2007-01-19 00:02:39
Lists: pgsql-general

On 1/18/07, Ron Johnson <ron(dot)l(dot)johnson(at)cox(dot)net> wrote:

> > Right. In my case I have bad data from a source I didn't control,
> exported
> > via code that I do control which happens to output YYYY-MM-DD. Well,
> except
> > that I don't do what I need to when MM or DD are more than 2 digits, but
> I'm
> > going back to look at that again ;-)
>
> Why didn't the PG engine reject these bad-date records at INSERT
> time. This smacks of something that MySQL would do...

The original poster mentioned that the data type that the "date" was stored
in was a varchar, not really much it can do there if don't use the right
data type :(.

Not to mention how misleading it probably is to use a varchar for a data to
the optimizer for calculating selectivity.

--
Chad
http://www.postgresqlforums.com/