Re: pg_group_name_index corrupt?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_group_name_index corrupt?
Date: 2000-05-05 22:33:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> How about calling pg_ctl from pg_upgrade to stop the postmaster ?

> Great idea. We never had an automated way to do that before.

I'd just as soon *not* have pg_upgrade assuming that it knows how
I like my postmaster started. If pg_ctl will work to stop a postmaster
whether or not it was started with pg_ctl, then it'd probably be a good
idea to use pg_ctl to ensure that there is no postmaster running in the
target database. I'd suggest not trying to restart the postmaster
automatically afterwards, though. Too much site dependency in that.