Re: Tape backup, 2 versions, same database name, which is pg_dump backing up

From: "Thomas F(dot) O'Connell" <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
To: MargaretGillon(at)chromalloy(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tape backup, 2 versions, same database name, which is pg_dump backing up
Date: 2006-08-02 21:04:35
Lists: pgsql-general

You'll need to specify the non-default port explicitly in your
pg_dump command in order to back up the postmaster running on 55432.

E.g., pg_dump -p 55432 -U postgres -C -D -f /tmp/$(date+%F)owl.sql owl

By default, the postgres command-line utilities attempt to connect to
5432 (or $PGPORT or whatever is configured as the default port).

In the meantime, you're still backing up the 7.3.4 postmaster with
that script.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Sitening, LLC