Encoding questions

From: "Pat Maddox" <pergesu(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Encoding questions
Date: 2007-07-08 19:09:54
Lists: pgsql-general

My databases all have the default SQL_ASCII encoding. I read the docs
and it says that you shouldn't use it if you're going to have any
non-ASCII data. I need to start supporting UTF-8, so it seems I need
to convert my database. Can I just convert it, or do I need to dump
it, drop it, recreate with UTF-8, and then load the data?

Also is it possible to change the default encoding for databases as
well? The docs say that you do it with initdb. Do I have to wipe my
data directory and start over, or is there some way just to change the
default encoding?

Thanks for any help.

Pat