Orphaned trigger -- bug?

From: Mark Lubratt <mark(dot)lubratt(at)indeq(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Orphaned trigger -- bug?
Date: 2004-04-08 17:59:38
Lists: pgsql-general

I just ran across a situation where I dropped a table that had a
trigger created on it. The system let me drop the table without
complaining and then I realized/remembered that the trigger also
existed. I tried dropping the trigger, but of course that couldn't be
done because the target relation no longer existed. Of course I
couldn't remake a relation because that would have a different OID.
The only way I found to drop the trigger was to drop the entire
database.

Shouldn't the system complain about triggers being dependent on
relations the same way that dropping a table that is used in a view
isn't allowed?

Thanks!
Mark