Re: accounting schema

From: "Medi Montaseri" <montaseri(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Steve Midgley" <public(at)misuse(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: accounting schema
Date: 2008-02-07 02:54:36
Lists: pgsql-sql

Thanks Steve...
This is all well and good...I am getting it...but I need to chew on it
more....gnucash was a good one...didn't think of that....got to get passed
all the GUI stuff...but...excellent ref...

I suppose instead of AR and AP tables, I can just have one table called
Entry (thanks Joe....) with an attribute indicating AR vs AP.

I am also in favor of Double Entry and accrual posting....what do I know, I
hear corporations do it this way...

I also like the "audit trail" built-in feature...actually this was something
I was baffled about...I was originally thinking about editing capability,
but what you are suggesting is that in practice, you don't change or erase
anything...to make a correction, you debit and then credit (keeping the sum
happy) and yet you have the audit trail...very cool...I am liking this
stuff...

And finally you mentioned that bank accounts are tricky...can you expand on
this please. After all I am under the impression that "bank accounts" are a
corner stone of this whole book keeping...I mean...bank accounts have debits
and credits just like any account...eg interest earned is a credit and bank
fees are debits...what worries you about bank accounts...

Thanks guys...this is very very nice

Medi