Re: meaning of PQresultStatus types

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jois(dot)de(dot)vivre(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: meaning of PQresultStatus types
Date: 2006-05-24 19:14:02
Lists: pgsql-general

jois(dot)de(dot)vivre(at)gmail(dot)com writes:
> My question is, what constitutes a PGRES_FATAL_ERROR or a
> PGRES_BAD_RESPONSE?

FATAL is probably a bad choice of words here; it basically means any
error condition reported by the server that caused execution of your
query to be abandoned. NONFATAL_ERROR actually means "notice or
warning message", and isn't a possible return code from PQexec anyway.

I think BAD_RESPONSE is historical at the moment; I don't see it being
generated anywhere in the library.