Re: Unlogged tables

From: George Neuner <gneuner2(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: "ldh(at)laurent-hasson(dot)com" <ldh(at)laurent-hasson(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unlogged tables
Date: 2017-08-10 22:52:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 8/10/2017 1:29 AM, ldh(at)laurent-hasson(dot)com wrote:

> Finally, my true question was whether Postgres would support something
> like worm with the performance benefits of UNLOGGED, but not the
> inconveniences of auto truncates.

If you can live with the limitations, one other thing you might try is
storing WORM data in the filesystem and accessing it via file_fdw.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/file-fdw.html

There are a lot of downsides to this: file_fdw tables are read-only, so
you have to update the external file through some other means. Also,
I've never used file_fdw, so I'm not sure whether you can create indexes
on the tables - and even if you can, you would need to manually recreate
the indexes periodically because Postgresql won't see your updates.

George