pg_dump, COPY and inheritance

From: Andrew Lazarus <andrew(at)pillette(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pg_dump, COPY and inheritance
Date: 2008-06-09 22:43:00
Lists: pgsql-general

I was surprised to find out that in my pg_dumpall, inherited tables
(which have no extra columns) come out empty. All of the data are in
the base table. I was doing a dump to upgrade from 8.2 to 8.3, and
this means that I have to split the base table up by hand. (Constraint
exclusion on child tables is very useful in the domain.)

Shouldn't pg_dump do a (not yet implemented)

COPY ONLY basetable TO stdout ?
COPY ONLY childtable TO stdout ?

--
Sincerely,
Andrew Lazarus mailto:andrew(at)pillette(dot)com

Attachment Content-Type Size
vCard.VCF text/x-vcard 378 bytes