Re: Password when logging into postgres

From: Gabriele Bartolini <Gabriele(dot)Bartolini(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)it>
To: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)illinois(dot)edu>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Password when logging into postgres
Date: 2011-09-01 13:54:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Lance,

> I reinstalled postgres from scratch receintly. I recreated a role
> with createrole called XYZ. I do not want XYZ to use a password on my
> local box. How do I set this up so that it will not ask for a
> password?

You have two options:

1) insert a line in ~/.pgpass file in your home directory for that
database user
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/libpq-pgpass.html)
2) insert a 'trust' rule for that user in the pg_hba.conf for local
connections
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/auth-pg-hba-conf.html)

I would personally go with #1 in production environment.

Cheers,
Gabriele

--
Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia