drop support for Python 2.3

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: drop support for Python 2.3
Date: 2017-02-08 04:08:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I would like to propose that we drop support for Python 2.3. Reasons:

- Python 3.6 was released in December. The list of versions we need to
manage is growing.

- Older Python versions are increasingly hard to build locally for testing.

- It's unlikely that Python 2.3 is still used in practice. Python 2.4
is in RHEL 5, which is the typically the oldest mainstream OS we look at.

- We could remove some cruft from the code.

We do have buildfarm coverage on prairiedog. However, that runs a >10
year old operating system, so I think it is not representing real usage.

Patch attached.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Drop-support-for-Python-2.3.patch text/x-patch 7.0 KB