Re: factor effecting performance of postgres

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: factor effecting performance of postgres
Date: 2017-01-19 20:52:27
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-general

On 1/19/2017 12:46 PM, PAWAN SHARMA wrote:
> I am new to postgres using OS: linux 7.2 and postgres
> : postgresql-9.5.4-2.
>
> what are the factor's affecting postgres performance? and to overcome
> them.

* CPU speed,
* cpu core count (if you have significant concurrency),
* memory size,
* disk IO speed (especially small block random write ops/second for
insert/update intensive OLTP),
* database schema design,
* query design,
* administrator and developer knowledge.

in no particular order, any number of those can be critical depending on
the nature of your applications.