Re: scalability bottlenecks with (many) partitions (and more)

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(at)vondra(dot)me>
To: Jakub Wartak <jakub(dot)wartak(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: scalability bottlenecks with (many) partitions (and more)
Date: 2024-09-21 18:33:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I've finally pushed this, after many rounds of careful testing to ensure
no regressions, and polishing. All changes since the version shared on
September 13 are only cosmetic - renaming a macro to keep it consistent
with the other ones, clarifying a couple comments etc. Nothing major.

I ended up squashing the two parts into a single commit. I thought about
keeping the two steps, but it seemed pointless - the first part inflated
the PGPROC struct, which I didn't like to commit, even if only as an
intermediate WIP state.

So far buildfarm didn't blew up, so let's hope it will stay that way.

I just realized there's no CF entry for this - sorry about that :-( I
started the thread a year ago to discuss an experimental patche, and it
never made it to CFA. But there was a discussion spanning a year, so
hopefully that's enough.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra