Re: Fix C23 compiler warning

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix C23 compiler warning
Date: 2024-10-22 08:32:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 22.10.24 08:41, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> writes:
>> Committed with that change. Thanks.
>
> Should we back-patch this? (And also a67a49648d9?) It's
> not hard to imagine people wanting to compile our stable
> branches with C23 compilers. I might leave out v12, which
> is just days away from EOL, but this seems like a reasonable
> change for all the later branches.

One thing I didn't realize until today is that currently C23
compilations only work with meson. The autoconf version we are using
doesn't support it, and the configure results it produces are somehow
faulty and then you get a bunch of compilation errors. So if we wanted
to make this a supported thing, it looks like we would need to use at
least autoconf 2.72.

So this then ties into further questions, like the future of autoconf
support. Also, I think the compilers themselves are still finalizing
their C23 support. (gcc-14 doesn't use the correct __STDC_VERSION__
version yet.) So I'm content to wait a little bit and see if there are
more adjustments needed in the future. Maybe when gcc-15 comes out
we'll have a more solid baseline.