Re: Using C# to create stored procedures

From: "Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, "Guy Rouillier" <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using C# to create stored procedures
Date: 2007-04-03 08:07:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom,

Awhile back I read an article claiming that .NET could only host one
> language, or at least only languages that differed merely in trivial
> syntactic details --- its execution engine isn't flexible enough for
> anything truly interesting.

Jim Hugunin (creator of Jython, which is Python on Java Virtual Machine)
thought similiar:

"""wanted to understand how Microsoft could have screwed up so badly that
the CLR was a worse platform for dynamic languages than the JVM. My plan
was to take a couple of weeks to build a prototype implementation of Python
on the CLR and then to use that work to write a short pithy article called,
"Why the CLR is a terrible platform for dynamic languages""""

He tried it, wrote Ironpython, was hired by Microsoft...

http://blogs.msdn.com/hugunin/archive/2006/09/05/741605.aspx

So there is proof that .NET is usable for more then one language. (Not that
I want to embrace that platform)

Harald
--
GHUM Harald Massa