Re: How to overwrite a table [only data]?

From: "Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha" <ezequias(dot)rocha(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgAdmin Support" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to overwrite a table [only data]?
Date: 2006-10-04 11:50:36
Lists: pgadmin-support pgsql-sql

Ezequias ,

> I would like to overwrite a table with problem with his original. But
> there are some points.
>
> I can't just delete and restore it becouse it has a foreign key and when I
> try to delete it ask for drop cascade.
>
> As I know the drop cascade delete in both tables the rows related. Is it
> correct ?
>
> You are right.

Your database structure disallows this kind of deletes.

So, if you want to allow it, you have to disable / remove that foreign key
restriction, refresh your data, and reimplement that restriction.

Be aware that foreign key restrictions usually are there for a reason.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare