Re: Beta 1.6: Output Headers refresh in slow motion

From: "Harald Armin Massa" <haraldarminmassa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Beta 1.6: Output Headers refresh in slow motion
Date: 2006-09-15 15:57:25
Lists: pgadmin-support

> Same "slow motion" is happening on resizing the output pane panel.
>
> What's happening is that when the grid control redraws itself, it asks the
> dataset what the header labels should be. The dataset then queries the
> database to get the correct typename (because libpq's PGresult only stores
> the type OIDs) for each column.

Hmmm.... isn't the relation type OID -> type fixed for every given instance
of a database?
Maybe it would be even quicker to have a local cache of

typeOID -> typeName

So even new queries will get their column headers quick.

>I've committed a fix that will cache the type names as they are requested
so that after the >initial display, subsequent redraws won't cause any
queries to be sent to the backend.
Thats fine.

> Of course, this behaviour doesn't show up on a fast PC running the server
> on localhost :-)
>
> Aaaah... now I know why with at 1600 (4pm) that redraw grew faster ...
most people left the office, so the WAN was more responsive :)

Thanks for caching,

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa