Re: Copyright vs Licence

From: cen <cen(dot)is(dot)imba(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Copyright vs Licence
Date: 2021-05-10 11:44:36
Lists: pgsql-general

> If MSFT is the sole holder of the copyright, then they can relicense
> it as they see fit. *I think* that they can only change the license on
> *newer* versions, so you'd be able to keep using the latest OSS version.

That is correct. If I get a version 1 of your program under license A
you can't come back a year later and tell me the same code is now
licensed under B and hinder the original freedoms of the license.

What can and does happen is that a new version is released under a
different license while the old version is made obsolete. In real word
that means you are stuck with the old version so you either need to
upgrade to a newer version with different license or use something else.
Real world cases are MongoDB and Redis modules license change.