Re: ThoughtWorks TechRadar : PostgreSQL expanding to become the NoSQL choice of SQL databases

From: Gabriele Bartolini <Gabriele(dot)Bartolini(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)it>
To: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ThoughtWorks TechRadar : PostgreSQL expanding to become the NoSQL choice of SQL databases
Date: 2013-05-22 13:12:59
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Wed, 22 May 2013 14:43:04 +0200, damien clochard
<damien(at)dalibo(dot)info> wrote:
> «
> PostgreSQL is expanding to become the NoSQL choice of
> SQL databases. Version 9.2 includes the ability to store JSON
> data with full querying capabilities on the content of the JSON
> document. Other extensions let the user store and query data
> in the form of key/value pairs. This lets you take advantage
> of the underlying storage and transactional capabilities of a
> 28 time-tested database without being tied to a relational
> data model. This is ideal for those who want both SQL and NoSQL
> applications but prefer a single reliable infrastructure that they
> already know how to support
> »

Thanks for sharing this Damien (I just twitted about it).

And PostgreSQL 9.3 will bring all of this to a completely new level.
Last Saturday I had the pleasure to speak at the PHPDay conference in
Verona. My talk was on infinite scalability and using PostgreSQL as a
NoSQL database. Speaking about the new JSON capabilities, in particular
operators - to_json() and json_agg() - and showing the examples really
made a lot of developers imagine new scenarios of adoption and hopefully
think of Postgres as a more versatile solution.

Ciao,
Gabriele

--
Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia