Unable to fire up the server when modifying client authentication setting!

From: "Verhaag Geert (GEN)" <g(dot)verhaag(at)maastrichtuniversity(dot)nl>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Unable to fire up the server when modifying client authentication setting!
Date: 2013-11-26 11:34:51
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I'm currently using version 8.4, and installed everything seems to work properly.

However, I'm having trouble with setting client authentication properly!

Client authentication is controlled by the configuration file named pg_hba.conf.

When I add the option map=myname like this:

local all all trust map=myname

to the file mentioned above the server won't fire up anymore! No messages in the log?

By the way I added myname to the pg_ident.conf file like:

# MAPNAME SYSTEM-USERNAME PG-USERNAME
myname systemusername pgusername

What is wrong here?

Regards,