RE: Object features of pg

From: Michael Ansley <Michael(dot)Ansley(at)intec-telecom-systems(dot)com>
To: "'Kenn Thompson'" <KThompson(at)adestagroup(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Object features of pg
Date: 2000-10-03 14:52:50
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi, Kenn,

>> It seems that if you want to define a type address that
>> you will need more than a reference in another table. I
>> see what you're trying to do, but don't understand the
>> advantage of having a type address. Especially when you
>> seem to be using standard SQL to manipulate the data anyway.
I'm not sure how postgres does it, but I think that it might actually store
the address in the address table, and use an oid to reference it from the
client table. The reason for doing this is that a) it matches the way an
object orientated language would map it, and b) it should be a LOT faster
than using a foreign key lookup. My understanding is that using OIDs is way
faster than using FKs, which is where ODBs get their speed from. So, if I
can do objects like ODBs in postgres then I get the speed of an ODB with the
funcionality of a relational database (functions, sql, rules, etc.)
Of course, I could just use the address OID as an FK on client, but that
would only really be going half the distance.

That's the plan, anyway.

Cheers...