Re: Plans for 8.2?

From: "Mikael Carneholm" <Mikael(dot)Carneholm(at)WirelessCar(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Plans for 8.2?
Date: 2006-01-12 16:50:00
Lists: pgsql-general

>In terms of statistics we do have statistics and exhaustive logging that
>can provide you with all of that information. Is there something
>specific that
>the information already provided really doesn't give you?

Can you give an example query for "list all queries executed since 12.00 AM, order by block_reads desc"? What I'm aiming for
is the ability to turn "measuring" on, regression test my application, turn "measuring" off again, and list the most offensive queries executed during the regression test. I know of at least one other DBMS that is capable of this...won't mention which one :)

>Materialized views we have, in a sense but much like updateable views
>you have to code for it.

I think what I'm looking for is MV support out-of-the-box, i.e "CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW foo_mv AS .. "

>"Built In" Failover/Clustering

>This won't happen. The community stance, which is a good one is that no
>single replication solutions fits everyone's needs and therefore we rely
>out the outside
>sources. Slony-I, Mammoth Replicator and pgpool being the most popular.

Too bad - I think that will keep a lot of potential users from evaluating Pg as a serious alternative. Good or bad, decide for yourself :)

>Analytic/window functions:

>Get coding man! :) We would love to have them.

Sure - as soon as I'm finished with my 4 other hobby projects. Too many ideas, too little time.. *sigh* :/

/Mikael