Re: Updated: partitioning functions

From: "Mikael Carneholm" <Mikael(dot)Carneholm(at)WirelessCar(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "'Pgsql-General \(E-mail\)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Updated: partitioning functions
Date: 2005-11-14 23:06:13
Lists: pgsql-general

>This looks like a good set of examples of how to set up custom partition
>management.

>Not sure whether a generic approach is that useful though, but maybe it
>could be a tech docs paper?

I was mainly into creating a single function that could set up insert/update rules/functions for a parent table, but had so much fun doing it that I ended up with those other functions as well. The version on my disk also has "range_partition_cluster_all", "range_partition_recluster_all", and "range_partition_analyze_all" functions, and I'm currently fooling around with "redefine" functions (init, begin, finish) to further ease partitioning. I'll tell you what, I created partitions to hold data for years 2001-2006 complete with update/insert rules (72 child tables) in what was it, 15 seconds? and am now in the middle of populating it with 30 million rows of real data for some interesting performance tests. As soon as the data is inserted, I'll index, cluster and analyze all 72 tables using three lines of code. I'll tell you, partitioning is NOT that easy in the other DBs I've worked with...
:)

/Mikael