Re: Append only tables

From: Rui DeSousa <rui(at)crazybean(dot)net>
To: Kurt Roeckx <kurt(at)roeckx(dot)be>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Append only tables
Date: 2020-03-21 05:44:47
Lists: pgsql-admin

> On Mar 20, 2020, at 5:50 PM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt(at)roeckx(dot)be> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a few tables that are append only. Thre are only gets insert
> and select queries, never update or delete.
>
> What I see is that every file is still being updated. It's
> currently about 500 GB big, and every of that almost 500 files has
> been touched the past 24 hours.
>
> (auto) vacuum is not happening on the table.

Vacuum is still required as the tuples need to be frozen. Have you vacuumed the table?

It could be the result of records being frozen during selects statements; select can freeze tuples that meet the criteria for being frozen.

I would recommend vacuuming the table to get the existing records frozen; then I believe you should see fewer updates to the all the base files.