Re: Oracle to postgres migration

From: John Scalia <jayknowsunix(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Azimuddin Mohammed <azimeiu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Oracle to postgres migration
Date: 2017-12-26 01:51:04
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-sql

Hi,

May I first suggest that you first look at some of EnterpriseDB’s technical literature. They have some documents which list what their products add to PostgreSQL to make it more like Oracle. If your firm isn’t doing this just to get out of licensing fees, they would probably be a good option for you. The basics of a migration is to look at the Oracle schema in order to determine which data types you’ll need to convert. Then, you’ll need to check which stored procedures you already have, and then what you’ll need to turn into PostgreSQL functions. Offhand, I’d say this isn’t difficult, but it may get very involved.

Jay

Sent from my iPad