Re: Postgresql replication

From: "Welty, Richard" <richard(dot)welty(at)bankofamerica(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql replication
Date: 2005-08-24 18:36:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Carlos Henrique Reimer wrote:

> I read some documents about replication and realized
> that if you plan on using asynchronous replication, your
> application should be designed from the outset with that
> in mind because asynchronous replication is not something
> that can be easily "added on" after the fact.

> Am I right?

certainly, if your goal is a pgreplicator style multi-master async, this
is correct, as you have to make decisions about the direction of
data flow, id generation, and conflict resolution up front.

if you want slony-I style single master/multi slave, you don't have to
do so much advance thinking as records are only being inserted into
the system on the single master.

richard