Re: Index over only uncommon values in table

From: Steven Schlansker <steven(at)likeness(dot)com>
To: David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index over only uncommon values in table
Date: 2013-06-18 21:17:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jun 18, 2013, at 1:49 PM, David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> Steven Schlansker-3 wrote
>> At some point, the code changes, and CURRENT_VERSION gets incremented.
>> Rows then slowly (over a period of days / weeks) get "upgraded" to the new
>> current version, in batches of thousands.
>>
>> This is what I mean by a very slowly changing mostly-constant value.
>
> This seems insane without knowing the details. This seems like it would be
> more of a cache invalidation problem. What percentage of your rows are
> being updated multiple times without ever being queried for other reasons?

I am open to suggestions of how to do it better. The problem I face is that
doing any sort of updates in one big go -- whether it be by ALTER TABLE
statements or large UPDATE queries -- is all but unworkable. It takes days
or weeks depending on what the update is, so any locking causes the entire
system to grind to a halt. And there is nothing more depressing than losing
5 days of work on a huge UPDATE because something hiccuped.

Hence, allowing "outdated" versions in the table, which then over time get upgraded
in reasonably-sized batches.

> I was going to say that table partitioning (INHERITS) seems like a
> possibility; then I thought maybe not; now I'm back to suggesting you
> consider it.
>
> Every version of the extractor would get its own table. To "upgrade" you
> remove the record from the older table and add it to the newer one. Maybe
> even consider calling the these "version_upgraded" to distinguish them from
> records originally insert using the newest version. Or have "original
> version" as the partition key and a second "current version" field that
> varies. Not sure how the planner would be able to use constraint exclusion
> to limiting the scanning though…

Interesting idea. I have been trying to avoid making code changes require
schema changes as well -- it is very nice to not have to make schema changes for every
code deployment. The code may get changed multiple times in the same day, if I am
busy hacking on it. Having to muck around with table inheritance and changing partition
definitions on code deployments seems unpleasant. Perhaps I am overestimating the work
involved, but I am very much trying to keep the deployment process as brain-dead-simple
as possible.

Thanks for the input.
Steven