Re: BUG #2292: Calling conventions in docs

From: Adriaan van Os <pgres(at)microbizz(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2292: Calling conventions in docs
Date: 2006-03-02 09:53:16
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> Adriaan van Os <pgres(at)microbizz(dot)nl> wrote:
>>
>> Section 32.9.5. Writing Code of the 8.1 docs says:

>> C into PostgreSQL, this is usually difficult (when it is possible at
>> all)
>> because other languages, such as C++, FORTRAN, or Pascal often do not
>> follow
>> the same calling convention as C. That is, other languages do not pass
>> argument and return values between functions in the same way<<
>>
>> This is nonsense. GNU Pascal and GNU C use the same calling
>> conventions. In
>> fact, they share the same compiler-backend.
>
> You seem to be assuming that Postgres will always be built using gcc.
> That
> isn't the case.

Note that the manual says "this is usually difficult (when it is
possible at all)". I don't think there are much C compilers around with
calling conventions that a Pascal compiler cannot reproduce. Name me
one ! Anyway, recompiling with gcc will solve the problem.

The manual is simply taking an old prejudice as a fact.

Sincerely,

Adriaan van Os