Re: Release 17 of the PostgreSQL Buildfarm Client

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "buildfarm-members(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <buildfarm-members(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Release 17 of the PostgreSQL Buildfarm Client
Date: 2023-08-05 10:40:27
Lists: buildfarm-members pgsql-hackers

On 2023-08-04 Fr 21:25, Tom Lane wrote:
> I wrote:
>> I ran a test of this using
>> run_branches.pl --run-all --nosend --force
>> and noticed that it created "animal.force-one-run" files in each
>> of the per-branch directories, and never removed them.
> Further testing shows that a pre-existing force-one-run file does
> get removed, so use-cases involving manual creation of the file
> are still OK. Maybe this "force twice" from --force has been
> there all along, and nobody noticed? Even if it's a new bug,
> it's not a show-stopper.

This isn't a product of the --force flag. It's done so that --nosend and
--nostatus don't defeat the up-to-date checks in run_branches.pl by
writing a githead.log with a gitref we haven't reported on. We could
possibly do that another way, e.g. by removing or renaming the
githead.log file in such cases, since the checks in run_branches.pl rely
on that name. (thinks) In fact that's probably better, because instead
of forcing a run it would just make the code do a slow up-to-date check
(by doing a git pull) next time around. Will fix.

If you had used --test instead of --nosend this wouldn't have happened.

In any case, the next regular run (i.e. one without --nosend or
--nostatus) will remove the files.

cheers

andrew

--