Large Number of Files in pg_xlog

From: Bob Lunney <bob_lunney(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Large Number of Files in pg_xlog
Date: 2009-12-01 03:47:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

Is it possible to reduce the number of files in pg_xlog. Currently, checkpoint_segments is set to 512, which if I understand correctly, means there could be up to 1025 files in pg_xlog, 16Gb of WAL. Right now there are 833 files. I've tried setting checkpoint_segments to a lower number and restarting the database, but to no avail. Is there another method that doesn't involve running a dump, initdb, and restore?

Thanks in advance,

Bob Lunney