Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Netapp SnapCenter

From: Paul Förster <paul(dot)foerster(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: "Wolff, Ken L" <ken(dot)l(dot)wolff(at)lmco(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: EXTERNAL: Re: Netapp SnapCenter
Date: 2020-06-26 12:36:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Magnus,

> On 26. Jun, 2020, at 12:29, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> I believe NetApp does atomic snapshots across multiple volumes, if you have them in the same consistency group. (If you don't then you're definitely in for a world of pain if you ever have to restore)
>
> Snapshotting multiple volumes in a consistency group will set up a write fence across them, then snapshot, and AIUI guarantees correct write ordering.

That's how I understood it too. But it will be difficult in our complex storage world to get the storage guys to create a consistency group.

Also, what I'm looking for is a plugin that allows to, how Netapp call it, "quiece" the PostgreSQL cluster, i.e. does start/stop backup.

I don't really trust the community plugin as it is so old and I'm not sure it gets any more development attention. For example, what about the API change (exclusive vs. non-exclusive)? Does it use the new API?

Cheers,
Paul