Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Date: 2005-06-24 16:00:52
Lists: pgsql-general

> Am Freitag, 24. Juni 2005 17:06 schrieb Tatsuo Ishii:
>> Really? I vaguley recall that someone who came from US complained
>> about the sort order of en locale. I thought English speakers prefer C
>> locale.

> I have never seen an English dictionary or other list that sorts A, ... Z,
> a, ... z and accented characters (which do occur in English) last. It might
> be a preference for some people, but that is hardly an English vs. other
> language issue and certainly not a "should", as phrased in the question.

I think it's more a "programmers are used to ASCII order, but nobody else is"
kind of deal. I agree with Peter that the question is poorly chosen
because both #1 and #5 could be considered wrong.

(I do not much care for answer #2 either, as the space needed varies
quite a bit depending on version and compilation options...)