Re: speed up a logical replica setup

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>, "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Shlok Kyal <shlok(dot)kyal(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Date: 2024-01-18 09:18:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11.01.24 23:15, Euler Taveira wrote:
> A new tool called pg_subscriber can convert a physical replica into a
> logical replica. It runs on the target server and should be able to
> connect to the source server (publisher) and the target server (subscriber).

Can we have a discussion on the name?

I find the name pg_subscriber too general.

The replication/backup/recovery tools in PostgreSQL are usually named
along the lines of "verb - object". (Otherwise, they would all be
called "pg_backup"??) Moreover, "pg_subscriber" also sounds like the
name of the program that runs the subscriber itself, like what the
walreceiver does now.

Very early in this thread, someone mentioned the name
pg_create_subscriber, and of course there is pglogical_create_subscriber
as the historical predecessor. Something along those lines seems better
to me. Maybe there are other ideas.