Re: problems with pg_restore

From: "Kuhn, Dylan K (4520500D)" <Dylan(dot)Kuhn(at)navy(dot)mil>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: problems with pg_restore
Date: 2003-07-15 16:54:25
Lists: pgsql-admin

> Hm. Evidently not :-(. The COMMENT ON DATABASE facility is
> a bit bogus
> anyway (since there's no way to make the comments visible across
> databases). You might be best advised not to use it.

I agree. I plan to delete it and try again, and avoid using database comments in the future. This seems to work:

DELETE FROM ONLY pg_description
WHERE pg_description.objoid=
(SELECT pg_database.oid FROM pg_database WHERE pg_database.datname=current_database())
AND pg_description.classoid=
(SELECT pg_class.relfilenode FROM pg_class WHERE pg_class.relname='pg_database');

> (though I'm
> not quite sure how to phrase the warning ...). Any thoughts?

I would have been happy enough with the existing message as a warning - probably anyone who tries to use database comments has noticed the limitations.

-dylan-