Re: Yet Another Socket .s.PGSQL.5432 Problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Hilton Perantunes" <hperantunes(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Yet Another Socket .s.PGSQL.5432 Problem
Date: 2007-08-15 22:01:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Hilton Perantunes" <hperantunes(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> When I stop the database, the socket file is automatically removed. That's
> the way it happened before... but now, oddly enough, I restarted the
> database at will several times, my app is still running, pgadmin too... and
> no socket file is created. o.0

Are you sure that's where the database thinks the socket file should be?
/var/run/postgresql is *not* the factory default for this; /tmp is.
If you replaced a distro build with your own or vice versa you may be
confused by that.

Wrong permissions on the directory or its parents could be the
problem, too.

> psql: could not connect to server:
> Is the server running locally and accepting
> connections on Unix domain socket
> "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

This clip omits the most important part of the message: there should be
a kernel error code after the colon.