Re: initdb recommendations

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: initdb recommendations
Date: 2019-07-22 16:25:05
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>> Pushed with that note. Thanks.

> This has completely broken the buildfarm.

On inspection, it seems the reason for that is that the buildfarm
script runs initdb with '-U buildfarm', so that peer-auth connections
will only work if the buildfarm is being run by an OS user named
exactly "buildfarm". That happens to be true on my macOS animals,
which is why they're not broken ... but apparently, nobody else
does it that way.

I'm afraid we're going to have to revert this, at least till
such time as a fixed buildfarm client is in universal use.

As for the nature of that fix, I don't quite understand why
the forced -U is there --- maybe we could just remove it?
But there are multiple places in the buildfarm client that
have hard-wired references to "buildfarm".