Re: WAL file accumulation on log shipping primary node

From: Dong Han <dhan(at)bluecatnetworks(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WAL file accumulation on log shipping primary node
Date: 2011-12-13 00:42:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Dear all,

We have setup log shipping replication between primary node and 2 secondary nodes with Postgresql version 8.4.8. From the data replication points of view, everything is fine. However, under heavy data modification load - we have an extremely busy system, we saw WAL files keep accumulating on the primary node - new WAL files are copied to secondary node and restored properly, but the primary node keeps holding a large number of old WAL files. To the end, the WAL files fill up the database partition. Previously, we tested in a lighter load environment, we did not have similar problem.

Please help to diagnosis the problem, and give me recommendations on how to fix this problem.

Thank you very much.

Dong Han