Re: row-wise comparison question/issue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jeremy Drake <pgsql(at)jdrake(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: row-wise comparison question/issue
Date: 2006-10-20 13:59:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jeremy Drake <pgsql(at)jdrake(dot)com> writes:
> select rowval from myrowtypetable ORDER BY ROW((rowval).*) USING <;
> ERROR: operator does not exist: record < record

This isn't required by the spec, and it's not implemented. I don't
see that it'd give any new functionality anyway, since you can always
do ORDER BY rowval.f1, rowval.f2, ...

The cases that are implemented are comparisons of explicit row
constructors, eg "(a,b,c) < (d,e,f)" --- which I think is all
you'll find support for in the spec.