Re: [HACKERS] Anyone working on asynchronous NOTIFY reception?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Anyone working on asynchronous NOTIFY reception?
Date: 1998-04-15 21:38:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Brett McCormick <brett(at)work(dot)chicken(dot)org> writes:
> I don't know how many clients you're running, but sending an empty
> query every second or three isn't too much of a performance hit (I
> know it still sucks though)..

Well, raw performance is only part of it. Some of the clients will
be accessing the database server across interstate dial-on-demand
ISDN links. Popping up the link for a minute whenever something
happens (which is likely to be only a few times a day) is cool.
Nailing it up 24x7 to pass a steady flow of empty queries is not cool.

> could you cc copies of mail to the list? I'm sure we're very
> interested..

Sure, I'll keep you posted. If anything comes of this I'll be
submitting the mods, of course.